“Never forget the power of silence, that massively disconcerting space which goes on and on and may last induce an opponent to babble and backtrack.” ~ Lance Morrow
Everything is negotiable! Period. So says Eldonna Lewis Fernandez, my guest on this week’s Awakening to Awareness radio show. And she has the knowledge and experience to back up her statement.
Eldonna is a retired Air Force veteran with 23 years of honorable military service. She is a negotiation and contracts expert with over 30 years of leadership, contracts management and negotiation experience. She has negotiated contracts from $1 to over $100 million both stateside and internationally. She was deployed to the Middle East after 911 and has years of experience in foreign acquisition.
She is a subject matter expert in the Contracting Career Field and has developed and taught courses on Contract Claims, Negotiation and other aspects of Contracting. She has seven years of extensive experience working for defense contractors in the Aerospace Industry. She also holds a Top Secret security clearance and has been a trusted agent of the U.S. Government for 30 years.
I have seen Eldonna train negotiation strategy and techniques in an experiential setting. I have heard her speak in front of 400+ people. I would not want to be across the negotiating table from Eldonna. 🙂 From these vantages (plus others), I invited her on to the show because she is a trove of negotiation-specific information and skills.
In one short hour, Eldonna shared insights into:
- How negotiation is both an art and a science
- The critical importance of being prepared entering any negotiation
- Why one needs to “stop talking!” and use silence as a negotiation technique
- “Owning your power” and having others be captivated by your confidence
- Asking for exactly what you want
- The value in building relationships
- Role playing and her experiential approach to learning negotiating skills
- The desired goal/outcome: win-win results
- Placing integrity first in any negotiation
- Possessing attitude which drives confidence
- Influencing skills
- And much more
I asked Eldonna to share two key takeaways for the listening audience and she offered:
- Get it in writing!
- Read before signing anything and be absolutely clear on the terms and conditions.
You can listen to the podcast (here). If you’d like to learn more about Eldonna, her new book, Think Like A Negotiator: 50 Ways to Create Win-Win Results by Understanding the Pitfalls to Avoid, or her training programs, her web site is linked here.